Sunday 3 February 2013

start where you are

Its been a wee while since I last blogged.  Sometimes when we stop doing something that had been a regular part of our life or when we struggle to begin on a task we see as huge the thought of beginning can be overwhelming.  So it is with this.

Whether your goal is to get fit, or to start a new business, to see your life expand and grow or to make new friends, the beginning of it can be almost too much to think about let alone knowing where to start.

At the end of last year I resigned from a position that I had very much enjoyed and valued in order to take steps in a new direction and to begin a journey that we as a married couple with a family of 4 kids saw as a very positive enriching and right thing to do... something that would bring us all together on the same page and have us all batting for the same team,  our values aligned...

But this meant starting at the beginning of something else.

It meant leaving behind friendships and beginning new ones.

And yes it was and is overwhelming.  But in order to begin something new, you actually just have to begin.  Sometimes there is no starting note, no line, no markers and noone to tell you how to go about it.  So we just begin.  Where we are, with what we have in our hand.

And I realised that what I have is me.  I have a voice.  I have a smile.  I have a choice.  I can be an initiator.  I can start.

It is amazing how when you simply use what is in your hand how much God can expand that in a moment to be so much more.

And then the miracle.

With no job but a very strong conviction that I was on the right page and headed in the right direction I inquired about a certificate course in small business management with a view of starting a new business venture.  Excited we went to see the people who run the course.  But the course was full with many on a waiting list.....and the next available course also full...

I knew that this was my direction though and they gave me an interview the next day.  So with the course full and a full waiting list, I was offered  a place, and even better, a one to one mentored position, an accelerated pathway.... with course payment covered.

So it is in beginning that we begin.  Without seeing the whole road ahead, sometimes with just a hunch or a word or a thought or an idea.  We jump and and hope and pray, but mostly pray because God has it.  He has our future and this gives us our hope.

So with all the other things that are overwhelming right now, just remember, you can start here, right where you are, at the beginning and begin.

=)


No comments:

Post a Comment